May 5, 2011

MIDLIFE | DANA ELLYN | Current exhibition at Artevistas Gallery

Bellini Baptism | Dana Ellyn
100 x 115 cm.
Oil on canvas
Bellini Baptism. The term "Baptism" is used to refer to a ceremony, trial, or experience by which a person is initiated, purified, or given a name. For me, turning 40 and having this exhibit in Barcelona is a sort of baptism. It is my first time exhibiting outside of my country and therefore a large step for me as a painter. As an agnostic, I often use religious iconography with a bit of humor. In this painting, I am being baptized with a bellini instead of holy water.


Duality | Dana Ellyn
66 x 138 cm.
Oil on canvas
Duality. A dual portrait of Matt Sesow inspired by two of my favorite films from the 1980’s, “Sixteen Candles” and “Pretty in Pink”. Growing up, I watched these movies countless times. And, the leading man in both films were my ideal man – the man I hoped to meet one day when I grew up. To me, Matt is like the leading man in both of those films. He is my Jake Ryan (16 Candles) and my Duckie (Pretty in Pink).

Waiting for Angels | Dana Ellyn
89 x 100 cm.
Oil on canvas
Waiting for Angels. Matt Sesow and I met 10 years ago at a bar in Washington DC. In this painting, Matt sits at the bar looking off in to the distance while I fly above (as an angel) trying to light the way and show him that his future is with me.

Performance Artist | Dana Ellyn
100 x 127 cm.
Acrylic on canvas
Performance. Artist. It took many years to become comfortable enough to put some of my personal stories on canvas to share them with the world. There is always a bit of concern about how they will be received. Will the viewers laugh at me or with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment